Pages

03 December 2010

Let's Get 80s Animated - on Facebook!


Ok, so this isn't the usual thing I post about (even slightly) and, as a rule, I hate causes. I have enough of my own problems without having to worry about starving children in Yugoslavia or bread shortages on Tatooine (actually, that one might upset me). But there is a nugget of awesome here that I can't ignore. The possibility of a united Book of Faces populated entirely by Cartoons! And not just any cartoons... 80s CARTOONS!

F*CK yeah! 
The Idea? To show global support for the fight against child abuse by changing you profile pic on FB to that of your favorite, old school cartoon character.
The Goal? By the 6th of December, to have a Facebook populated entirely by cartoons.

If you don’t think that’s noble, kill yourself.

There is nothing quite as powerful, in my humble opinion, as cartoon nostalgia. We all have it. It is an inescapable part of growing up. Cartoons grew our imaginations from the comfort of our living rooms. They garnered our trust and devotion and we adopted them fully as integral parts of our persona. Bombarded by the likes of TMNT and Bravestar (a daily dosage of which, I am still convinced, should have been enforced by law), our personalities were in no small way guided by these fictional figures, who, unbeknown to our fragile, little, rebellious egos, were toting good values such as honesty, integrity and the immediate (and assuredly warranted) distrust of, and violent assault upon, any inexplicably animated skeletons, mummies or men dressed entirely in padded leather and razor-adorned plate-metal.

That's a 'Hit Me' face.
Now I could prattle on for pages about this subject, and who knows, in future I might, but for now I’ll keep the post short.

From the first moment my pre-adolescent brain noticed that Cheetara is completely starkers in the Thundercats pilot

 Wait a second, is that legal? 
…a memory that my post-adolescent brain would quickly translate into this…

The internet has made this acceptable. 

cartoons became an inextricable part of my life. I watched them, I drew them, I pretended to be them and, almost two decades later, I now have small, cozy place in the sewer, a proud collection of tights and the satisfaction of a youth well lived.

Honestly, I couldn't ask for more.

Paste this copy to your profile:

"Change your facebook profile picture to a cartoon from your childhood and invite your friends to do the same. Until monday (Dec.6) there should be no human faces on facebook, but an invasion of memories. This is for violence against children‌. Be part of this and spread awareness!"

Do it.


2 comments:

  1. I've had endless fun with this cause as well. Yes it won't get much done for children's abuse but it's been tremendous fun. Anyway, I'm glad Geekland isn't as lonely as I once thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, i've been punting it mercilessly amongst my friends and have managed to convert the majority of them, with a below-average number of personal threats. Today's the last days though, so we'll see...
    Those who resist the 80s nostalgia may wake up Tuesday morning with a Pikachu head at the foot of their bed.

    ReplyDelete